Whether you’re just visiting Sioux Falls or have lived in the city all your life, visiting the Historical Markers in Sioux Falls is a nice way to spend any day. Here is a list of historical markers in town where you can soak up a bit of the city’s past.
Downtown Sioux Falls
- President Woodrow Wilson – The Coliseum/Multi-Cultural Center @ 515 N. Main Ave.
- The Hanging of an Innocent Man – Old Courthouse Museum @
200 W 6th St.
- Cigar Manufacturing – E. 8th St & N. Phillips Ave.
- First Baptist Church – 1401 S. Covell Ave.
- Early Firefighting in Sioux Falls – Central Fire Station @ 100 S Minnesota Ave.
- The 1900 Campaign Whistlestop by Theodore Roosevelt – Central Fire Station @ 100 S Minnesota Ave.
- The Cataract – W. 9th St. & N. Phillips Ave.
- Cradle of Statehood – W 9th St. & Dakota Ave.
- The Squatter Government at Sioux Falls City – 100 S. Phillips Ave.
- Horse Drawn Streetcars – S. Phillips Ave. between W 9th St. & W. 10th St.
- Radio Station WFAT – 221 S. Main Ave.
- The Government Building – Southeast Corner of lot at W. 12th St. & S. Dakota Ave.
- Eliza Tupper Wilkes – W. 12th St. & S. Dakota Ave.
- Calvary Cathedral – 500 S. Main Ave.
- Washington High School – Washington Pavilion @ 301 S. Main Ave.
- The Gaslight Era
- The Amidon Stone House
- Thomas L. Fawick
Cathedral Historic District
- Quartzite Paving Stones – W. 6th St. & Duluth Ave.
- Two Cemeteries – W. 7th St & Duluth Ave.
- Kaufmann House Mystery – W. 7th St. & N. Summit Ave.
- Senator R. F. Pettigrew – 131 N. Duluth Ave.
- The People’s Party National Convention – W. 9th St. & S. Summit Ave.
- The Women’s Alliance – W. 9th St & S. Spring Ave.
- Col. Melvin Grigsby
- Pillars of the Nation
- A Park Born in Controversy – McKennan Park Zoo
- Sioux Falls Municipal Band
Augustana College Campus
- The Pettigrew-Tate Land Grant – W. 31st St. & S. Summit Ave.
- Mammoth – Denizen of the Ice – W. 28th St. & S. Grange Ave.
Augustana College Heritage Park
- 1892 Beaver Creek Lutheran Church
- Berdahl-Rolvaag House
- 1909 Eggers School
- The Queen Bee Mill
- Frederick Manfred’s “Siouxland”
- The Dubuque House
- Human Timeline
- 1851 Indian Traty
- The Sioux Quartzite
- Inland Seas
- Indian Burial Mounds
- The Fifth Mound
- Linear Mound
- The Big Slide
- Mound Builders Village
- Battleship X
- 500 A.D. Copper Knife
- Amidon Graves Mystery – S side of E Amidon St.
- The Amidon Affair – East of the penitentiary on N. Park Dr.
- Great Northern – 503 E. 8th St.
- South Dakota School for the Deaf – E. 10th St. & Maple Ave.
- Joe Foss – Sioux Falls Regional Airport @ 2801 N. Jaycee Ln.
- Bomber Rams Skyscraper – North side of W. Algonquin St.
- Stratosphere Balloonist – North side of W. Algonquin St.
- Midair Collision – West side of N. Industrial Ave.
- In Memory of Mankana Na Ota E’ En – Lower Terrace Park
- West Sioux Falls – Elmwood Park @ 1401 N. Kiwanis Ave.
- The Town Pump – W. Bailey St. & N. Garfield Ave.
- Mount Pleasant Cemetery – 2001 E. 12th St.
- Albert M. Mansor – Mansor-Pioneer Park
- 1936 Powder House Blast – 1101 S Highline Pl.
- From Glory to Glory – 117 W. 17th. St.
- The First “Flying Machine”
- Buffalo Bill
- First United Methodist Church – 401 S. Spring Ave.
- An Institution of Organized Kindness – Sanford USD Medical Center Lobby –
1305 W. 18th St.
- The Old Yankton Trail and Stage Road – University of Sioux Falls @ W. 22nd St. & Prairie Ave.
- Columbus College – W. 22nd St. near S. Lincoln Rd.
- Children’s Care Hospital & School – W. 26th St. & S. Lyndale Ave.
- Soo Skyways Airport – S. Kiwanis Ave. near 46th St.
1 thought on “A List of Historical Markers in Sioux Falls”
what about the now University of Soux Falls started in the basement of First Baptist Church?
just saying, good start just discovered the site