Whether you’re just visiting Sioux Falls or have lived in the city all your life, visiting the Historical Markers in Sioux Falls is a nice way to spend any day. Here is a list of historical markers in town where you can soak up a bit of the city’s past.
Downtown Sioux Falls
- President Woodrow Wilson – The Coliseum/Multi-Cultural Center @ 515 N. Main Ave.
- The Hanging of an Innocent Man – Old Courthouse Museum @
200 W 6th St.
- Cigar Manufacturing – E. 8th St & N. Phillips Ave.
- First Baptist Church – 1401 S. Covell Ave.
- Early Firefighting in Sioux Falls – Central Fire Station @ 100 S Minnesota Ave.
- The 1900 Campaign Whistlestop by Theodore Roosevelt – Central Fire Station @ 100 S Minnesota Ave.
- The Cataract – W. 9th St. & N. Phillips Ave.
- Cradle of Statehood – W 9th St. & Dakota Ave.
- The Squatter Government at Sioux Falls City – 100 S. Phillips Ave.
- Horse Drawn Streetcars – S. Phillips Ave. between W 9th St. & W. 10th St.
- Radio Station WFAT – 221 S. Main Ave.
- The Government Building – Southeast Corner of lot at W. 12th St. & S. Dakota Ave.
- Eliza Tupper Wilkes – W. 12th St. & S. Dakota Ave.
- Calvary Cathedral – 500 S. Main Ave.
- Washington High School – Washington Pavilion @ 301 S. Main Ave.
- The Gaslight Era
- The Amidon Stone House
- Thomas L. Fawick
Cathedral Historic District
- Quartzite Paving Stones – W. 6th St. & Duluth Ave.
- Two Cemeteries – W. 7th St & Duluth Ave.
- Kaufmann House Mystery – W. 7th St. & N. Summit Ave.
- Senator R. F. Pettigrew – 131 N. Duluth Ave.
- The People’s Party National Convention – W. 9th St. & S. Summit Ave.
- The Women’s Alliance – W. 9th St & S. Spring Ave.
- Col. Melvin Grigsby
- Pillars of the Nation
- A Park Born in Controversy – McKennan Park Zoo
- Sioux Falls Municipal Band
Augustana College Campus
- The Pettigrew-Tate Land Grant – W. 31st St. & S. Summit Ave.
- Mammoth – Denizen of the Ice – W. 28th St. & S. Grange Ave.
Augustana College Heritage Park
- 1892 Beaver Creek Lutheran Church
- Berdahl-Rolvaag House
- 1909 Eggers School
- The Queen Bee Mill
- Frederick Manfred’s “Siouxland”
- The Dubuque House
- Human Timeline
- 1851 Indian Traty
- The Sioux Quartzite
- Inland Seas
- Indian Burial Mounds
- The Fifth Mound
- Linear Mound
- The Big Slide
- Mound Builders Village
- Battleship X
- 500 A.D. Copper Knife
- Amidon Graves Mystery – S side of E Amidon St.
- The Amidon Affair – East of the penitentiary on N. Park Dr.
- Great Northern – 503 E. 8th St.
- South Dakota School for the Deaf – E. 10th St. & Maple Ave.
- Joe Foss – Sioux Falls Regional Airport @ 2801 N. Jaycee Ln.
- Bomber Rams Skyscraper – North side of W. Algonquin St.
- Stratosphere Balloonist – North side of W. Algonquin St.
- Midair Collision – West side of N. Industrial Ave.
- In Memory of Mankana Na Ota E’ En – Lower Terrace Park
- West Sioux Falls – Elmwood Park @ 1401 N. Kiwanis Ave.
- The Town Pump – W. Bailey St. & N. Garfield Ave.
- Mount Pleasant Cemetery – 2001 E. 12th St.
- Albert M. Mansor – Mansor-Pioneer Park
- 1936 Powder House Blast – 1101 S Highline Pl.
- From Glory to Glory – 117 W. 17th. St.
- The First “Flying Machine”
- Buffalo Bill
- First United Methodist Church – 401 S. Spring Ave.
- An Institution of Organized Kindness – Sanford USD Medical Center Lobby –
1305 W. 18th St.
- The Old Yankton Trail and Stage Road – University of Sioux Falls @ W. 22nd St. & Prairie Ave.
- Columbus College – W. 22nd St. near S. Lincoln Rd.
- Children’s Care Hospital & School – W. 26th St. & S. Lyndale Ave.
- Soo Skyways Airport – S. Kiwanis Ave. near 46th St.